10.23.2010

Food & Wine Festival :)

It's been a good couple of weeks since I last updated. I've been working and exploring a little bit more. The 15th Annual Food & Wine Festival began in October and it's still going strong. Here's a video I found on the Disney Parks Blog that tells a little bit about the festival:



It's really a cool place to try foods from around the world and not spend big bucks while doing it. So far at the festival, I've tried foods from...


Puerto Rico. This is the Medianoche Sandwich. From what I understand, it's the Puerto Rican equivalent of a hoagie. The bread is what makes it a medianoche sandwich, not the ingredients inside. That changes along with whoever makes the sandwich. All I know is that it was delicious. Next time I go back, I might get another one.

In PR I also tried that Asopao De Pollo (chicken soup with rice), which I have to admit, I really disliked. After consulting with Gerardo, I found out that the olives that were in this soup are not always there, and that I should probably give it another chance when made properly.





Next, I tried that Flavors of Africa platter from South Africa. It included some bread, various sauces that originated in the region, as well as salad. I thought everything on here was delicious, especially the green sauce. Unfortunately they do not give much of a description past the title, so I have no idea what was it in. I'll have to look it up. Overall though, I would recommend stopping at South Africa.

In Greece I tried the Spanakopita. I already knew I liked spanakopita thanks to the Harvest Diner, but was craving it, so I got it here as well. Of course, it was very good, but oddly enough, I think I might prefer the diner version more.



I went to South Korea and tried the Lettuce Wraps with Roast Pork and Kimchi Slaw (as seen in the video above!). By description (and frankly, by looks as well) this is something I never really thought I would like. I tried it anyway, and so far, it's ended up being one of my favorite dishes at the festival!



This next dish may have been my favorite one of all. It's called Tuna Sensation and you can find it in Japan. The ingredients are simply tuna, avacado, and soy sauce. ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS.



Next I stopped by Austailia for the Seared Barramundi with Blistered Cherry Tomatoes, Arugula, and Lemon Oil. I had never had barramundi before and was a bit nervous, but it was great (as was the arugula salad with tomatoes)!



My next stop was Belgium (a country that is new to the F&W Festival this year!), where I tried the Steamed Mussels with Roasted Garlic Cream. They were good, but nothing to rave too much about. The bread was a bit hard and I thought there was way too much sauce on the mussels, but that's just my opinion.



Next was quite possibly the best dessert I've had in Disney World so far (but then again, I have to to try the Zebra Domes from my restaurant, which are rumored to be the best dessert in the world basically). I've gotten it twice at the Food & Wine Festival so far: once with Gerardo, and once a couple days after when I couldn't resist while walking by the Ireland stand. It's a Warm Chocolate Lava Cake with Baileys Irish Cream Ganache. How could it be anything but fabulous?! Just thinking about it makes me want to catch a bus to EPCOT right now to get another one.



My next stop at the festival was the New Zealand stand. I got the Seared Sea Scallop with Vegetable Slaw and Lemon Oil. The scallop itself was fabulous, I just wish I could've had more of that and less of the vegetable slaw it was served with! Don't get me wrong, those were great as well, they just pale in comparison to the scallop itself.



Next stop? Canada of course! Sue suggested this one to me, even though I was a bit skeptical. Naturally, she was right and it was so good! It's a Chicken Chipotle Sausage with Sweet Corn Polenta! I cut up the sausage and mixed it with the polenta. The spicy/sweet dynamic was fabulous. I would definitely buy this again.



In Morocco I tried the Falafel Pita Pocket. It was a nice snack, but I probably wouldn't go back to get this. It was pretty average. I'm glad I tried it, but I think I could get a better pita pocket somewhere else. All of the ingredients in the pocket besides the falafel itself were kind of bland. Not a letdown, but nothing entirely special either.



Then in Germany I tried the Spatzle Gratin with Ham and Cheese. This was delicious. It probably helped that by the time I tried this food, it was getting a little cooler outside and the warmth made this dish that much better. It was kind of like a comfort food even though I'd never tried it before. Very odd, I know, but it was very good!



For dessert, I had to go to France and try the Creme Brulee au Chocolate au Lait. How could this be anything but amazing?




Taco de Chilorio from Mexico


Kielbasa and Potato Pierogies with Caramelized Onions and Sour Cream from Poland


Xinjiang Barbecue Chicken Stick from China


And of course, a Cannolo Al Cioccolato aka Chocolate Cannoli from Italy!

Countries/Dishes tried, but not pictured:
Roasted Corn and Cheese Empanada from Argentina
Dessert Trio from Desserts & Champagne

Countries I didn't have the chance to try
Brazil
Charcuterie and Cheese
Chile
Hops & Barley
Singapore
Spain
United States

No comments:

Post a Comment